Sunday, August 23, 2015

The End of Rotation #1

Friday was my last day at Children's Oakland. It was not only my rotation with the longest hours but also the most challenging rotation I've had thus far, including all of my third year rotations. Though extremely tiring, it was also the most rewarding rotation so far in all aspects.

On my last day, my first ever patient was finally discharged home. He was admitted on my first day ever in the NICU 4 weeks ago and on this past Friday, he and I both left the hospital together. It's such an eerie coincidence but I can truly say that I will never forget this little baby and everything he and his mom and dad went through. I became friends with this family during this time and I wish the best for them moving forward. I also told my senior resident that if I have the chance to come back to this hospital as a resident next year, I'm taking him back as my own clinic patient! How crazy would that be. All the best for this little kiddo. He had a tough first 4 weeks of life.

One of the things I'll miss most are my residents and Attendings. I worked with some really incredible residents and Attendings during my third year especially on my Surgery and Internal Medicine rotations and the people at Children's are right up there with the best. On Friday, my senior not only wrote me an amazing thank you card but she also baked me a lemon tart pie. Unheard of! I was so grateful.

It's onward toward my next rotation now. So long Children's Oakland, I hope I can return soon!

1 comment: