Thursday, February 11, 2016

Rotation #5 The University of Chicago Medicine

Wow!! I kicked off February at Comer's Children's Hospital at The University of Chicago doing an elective rotation in Allergy and Immunology. What a cool experience this has been so far. I think I've added another future possibility on my ever expanding list of possible fellowships and future job careers. I think I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy doing outpatient clinic. At the same time, you still get consults in the hospital without being too swamped like most of the other major specialties. You get to see all the very, very common cases like rhinitis, asthma, food allergies, atopic dermatitis but you also get to see the very, very uncommon cases of things such as common variable immune deficiency (CVID) and severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID). It's definitely a pretty interesting spectrum.

Throughout this year, I've also found that it's incredibly easy to fall in love with a particular rotation when you love the people that you work with. It makes me wonder whether I really, truly love that specialty or that I love the specialty because of the people I'm surrounded by. Every single Allergy/Immunology attending at U of C have been so wonderful to me. I'm expected to see my own patients, suggest a plan, and write my own notes. Sure, I don't know everything but when I'm wrong, they correct me, teach me, and teach me more. At the same time, I also love all the nurses in the clinic too and it helps that we all sit in the same room so that I get to know them really well!



Two weeks in and enjoying every day. The best part is waking up and not dreading going to work :) Only dreading going outside because it's freezing cold these days...but I shouldn't complain because it's been much, much worse in previous Februrarys!

No comments:

Post a Comment